MEDIA COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
City of Sacramento, Recycling and Waste Division
Salary Range: Approx. $76,215 – $100,000/annually
Recruitment Closes: October 15.
The Recycling and Solid Waste (RSW) division is seeking a creative media and communications professional who can effectively project manage education campaigns, has exceptional writing ability for multiple mediums and has excellent customer service skills. A breath of interpersonal skills is mandatory, from the ability to deescalate a tense situation with a resident, to briefing an elected official. Experience with presentations, budgeting, special events and grant management is desirable.
Under general direction, the Media and Communication Specialist plans, organizes, and directs a comprehensive public information, media relations, and communication program for a City Department; through public outreach and educational programs, promotes a department’s goals, mission, and values; provides strategic and public affairs direction for assigned department; and directs publicity of special projects and events.
- Develops, implements, and oversees external communication plans, media strategies, marketing, and public affairs programs in accordance with department goals, mission, and values; researches public opinion and emerging issues.
- Provides strategic direction and advice to department director and managers on emerging and urgent communications issues; recommends responses; trains department executive team on media and public relations issues.
- Plans, organizes, and implements logistics of press events and media relations that support communication initiatives of the department; coordinates events with public and private sector agencies, businesses and community groups; serves as departmental spokesperson.
- Develops and distributes media releases, media advisories, news releases, newsletters, informational brochures, speeches and other materials to alert public of departmental programs, events, and services.
- Develops, implements, and oversees internal communication plans and strategies; prepares content for and/or design of employee newsletters; coordinates development and implementation of intranet based services; develops and manages web page content.
- Interacts with the Mayor and City Council with regard to community meetings, media events, project openings, etc; responds to requests from City Council; prepares and presents briefings to City Council, business leaders and community groups; conducts or advises in the conduct of focus groups, public hearings, and community meetings; develops curriculum and presents information to school and community organizations.
- Monitors, reports on, and assures compliance with new legislation applicable to the department.
- Develops and monitors unit budget; selects and manages consultant contracts; reviews work for accuracy and consistency with department image; selects, supervises, trains, and evaluates the work of technical, paraprofessional, and support staff.
- Provides exceptional customer service to those contacted in the course of work.
- Other related duties may be assigned; not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each incumbent holding this classification.